When chosen freely and taken seriously the gift of God offered through the sacrament of Confirmation is profound for both the individual candidates and for the Church. The Confirmation of these young disciples of Jesus is a sign of God’s abiding presence in our Catholic community.
Beginning in the 2018-2019 school year, the sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated when St. Henry youth are in Grade 10. Before preparing for the sacrament they will need to have completed the prior years of religious education classes that precede 10th grade.
Customarily at our parish the sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in the Spring. Candidates from St. Henry's parish join with candidates from other local parishes for a regional Confirmation at a designated Church that has a sufficient seating capacity for the total number of candidates being confirmed plus their families and friends.
St. Henry candidates begin this year of Confirmation preparation with a meeting for both the candidates themselves and their parents. At this meeting the Confirmation staff shares many of the details regarding preparation. Some of these details include:
- Attendance at classes each Sunday, according to the schedule of classes.
- Class times:
- Begin with attendance at the 8:15 a.m. Mass at St. Henry Catholic Church
- Continue after Mass for instructions;
- Conclude at 11 a.m. (or shortly thereafter);
- Two meetings for candidates and their parents:
- One meeting for the purpose of explaining the Confirmation preparation program
- Another meeting to reflect upon and discuss the candidate's personal faith development and the meaning of Confirmation in their lives
- Two meetings for Candidates and Sponsors:Sponsors and candidates will also be asked to meet as a candidate/sponsor pair between scheduled candidate/sponsor meetings to continue the discussion started during the meetings.
- Meeting #1: Sunday, December 2, 2018
- Meeting #2: Sunday, February 3, 2019
- Two overnight Retreats:
- Retreat #1: November 3-4, 2018 at St. Henry Parish;
- Retreat #2: February 16-17, 2019 at Camp Gray, near Wisconsin Dells;
- Attend one Youth Rally:
- St. John Bosco Youth Day at Holy Hill on Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Wisconsin Catholic Youth Rally in Milwaukee on Saturday, March 16, 2019;
- 20 hours during the year of Confrmation. At least ten of those hours should be for the benefit of St. Henry Parish.
- Help serve meals at St. Ben’s Meal Program in Milwaukee at least once.
- Practicing what it means to be a Catholic, including appropriate behavior, fulfilling the obligation to attend Mass each week (Saturday evening/Sunday) and on Holy Days, and other disciplines of the Catholic faith.
- Making regular prayer and reflection a part of daily activities.