Incorporated in 1853 near the eastern shore of the Rock River, St. Henry Catholic Church was established to provide a parish for the German immigrants who had settled in the area. Under the guidance of Mil-waukee Archbishop John Martin Henni, the first priest-in-residence was assigned and construction of the frame church began on the northwest corner of 4th and Cady Street, the site of the parish to this day.
Over the next 75 years, St. Henry grew quickly and became one of the largest parishes in the area. By 1930, the church had undergone major renovation to include the installation of its famous bells. In 1962 the church was literally re-built and in 2002 underwent major interior renovation.
“Soaring with the Lord” since 1854, St. Henry has also provided a quality, faith based education to the community with its elementary school, initially run by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. From pre-school through 8th grade, St. Henry and its dedicated staff of teachers, is the only parish currently provid-ing a Catholic middle school education in the area. St. Henry Parish continues to minister to the needs of the people of Watertown through the on-going de-votion and faith of its staff and lay volunteers. From its humble beginnings as a parish for German immi-grants, St. Henry has over 1000 families in its community and is comprised of a mosaic of multi cultural interests and backgrounds.
The faith of our fathers will continue to be the foundation on which St. Henry continues to flourish and thrive in years to come.