When chosen freely and taken seriously the gift of God offered through the sacrament of Confirmation is profound for both the individual candidates and for the Church. The Confirmation of these young disciples of Jesus is a sign of God’s abiding presence in our Catholic community.
The sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated when St. Henry youth are in Grade 10. Before preparing for the sacrament they will need to have completed the prior years of religious education classes that precede Grade 10.
Customarily at our parish, the sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in the Spring. Candidates from St. Henry parish join with candidates from other local parishes for a regional Confirmation at a designated Church that has a sufficient seating capacity for the total number of candidates being confirmed plus their families and friends.
St. Henry candidates begin this year of Confirmation preparation with a meeting for both the candidates themselves and their parents. At this meeting the Confirmation staff shares many of the details regarding preparation. Some of these details include:
- Attendance at classes each Sunday, according to the schedule of classes. Class times are:
- Wednesday night classes are 7:15-8:30 p.m.
- Sunday night classes are 7:15-8:45 p.m.
- Meeting for candidates and their parents on Sunday, September 8, 2019 in order to:
- Explain the Confirmation preparation program
- Reflect upon and discuss the candidate's personal faith development and the meaning of Confirmation in their lives
- Two meetings for Candidates and Sponsors: Sponsors and candidates will also be asked to meet as a candidate/sponsor pair between scheduled candidate/sponsor meetings to continue the discussion started during the meetings.
- Meeting #1: Sunday, December 1, 2019
- Meeting #2: Sunday, February 9, 2020
- Two overnight Retreats:
- Retreat #1: Saturday, November 2-Sunday, November 3, 2019 at St. Henry Parish Center
- Retreat #2: Saturday, April 4-Sunday, April 5, 2020 at Camp Gray near Wisconsin Dells
- Attend Youth Rally:
- Wisconsin Catholic Youth Rally in Milwaukee on Saturday, March 14, 2020
- Service Hours
- Twenty (20) hours during the year of Confrmation. At least ten of those hours should be for the benefit of St. Henry Parish.
- Help serve meals at St. Ben’s Meal Program in Milwaukee at least once.
- Click here for the Candidate Service Hour Report.
- Practicing what it means to be a Catholic, including appropriate behavior, fulfilling the obligation to attend Mass each week (Saturday evening/Sunday) and on Holy Days, and other disciplines of the Catholic faith.
- Making regular prayer and reflection a part of daily activities.